My whole family (Mom, Dad and two brothers) are flying from Singapore to visit us in a few days, and this will be our first family “vacation” since I was about 16, just a little over a decade ago… (well it feels about that long anyway.)
If you know anything about my extremely dysfunctional family, you will understand it is a sweeping understatement to say that I am a little stressed by the upcoming trip. I told my mother that I’d already pre-booked extra sessions with my therapist over the entire festive season. She seemed to think that was a sensible idea.
Anyway, to distract myself this afternoon, I wrapped about 78 presents and then got immersed into meal planning.
So far our Christmas late lunch lineup looks like this:
– Crispy mushroom risotto balls
– Roast free-range chicken with tarragon, garlic and shallots & homemade aioli
– Five-spice soy babyback ribs
– Asian coleslaw
– Roast potatoes with garlic & rosemary
– Parmesan green beans
– Warm Rhubarb tart with cold ice-cream
– Raspberries from our garden with double cream
Dinner The Next Day (after a surfeit of indulgence)
– Salmon lightly poached in aromatic Tom Yam Broth & smothered in Basil leaves
– Stir-fried Edamame with crispy shallots, Sichuan pepper & sea salt
– Hiyayakko cold Tofu with Bonito flakes
– Lots of rice
Btw, how ridiculous is it that it is SNOWING in Mount Buller at the moment! A white christmas in Australia?! Extremely curious, as Finn would say! The possibility exists for a frosted earth sandwich….